Some people get a thrill riding roller coasters. But I’m not really into roller coasters. I get my thrills by grocery shopping, y’all. I go to the grocery store for a good time.
Just for fun, I’m going to tell you all about why I love shopping at Sam’s Club and what I buy there.
First let me mention that if we had an Aldi closer to where we live, I probably wouldn’t be shopping at Sam’s Club as much. But the closest Aldi is an hour away and it just doesn’t make sense for me to drive that far to shop. We also don’t have Trader Joe’s or any fancy stores like you find in the big city – because southwest Virginia sure ain’t the big city. There’s no BJs, Costco or anything like that in our part of the world.
But praise God there is a Sam’s Club! Even with the membership fee, there are so many things I buy there that I simply cannot get cheaper anywhere else. It makes the Sam’s club basic membership fee worth it for us. #notsponsored
Our Sam’s Club is about 30 minutes away, but not too far from our church. Every 2-3 months, I will place a big online club pickup order and pick it up on Sunday after church. If I could go by myself, I wouldn’t do the club pickup, but it’s really hard to take four kids and a husband to Sam’s Club and us all emerge happily. Then trying to do that shopping on Sunday after church? Whew, I can only imagine.
If you’re a Sam’s Club member and you haven’t tried online club pickup – you need to get on it!
I mean – it’s the stuff. Best part is there is no charge; it’s completely free. If you’re curious – no, they don’t bring your grocery order out to you. You do have to get out of the car, grab a cart and pick it up from the customer service desk, but that’s just a few extra steps for the ol’ fitbit, y’all! (I mean, if you have one of those. I don’t personally, but I’ve heard things…)
How do I budget for shopping at Sam’s Club?
I only go shopping at Sam’s Club 4-5 times a year, so it really is almost in it’s own budget category. I plan ahead and keep a separate list of what I would like to get so we can figure out our budget beforehand.
Usually when I go shopping at Sam’s Club, it’s a humongous order – like I spend several hundred dollars a trip. Keep in mind, most things are bulk items that last for months. I have to explain to the cashier every time I check out that no, I don’t have a restaurant…just children. I just have lots of children who like to eat.
In the spirit of keeping it real, there are two things I don’t like…
I have a problem with someone else feeling up my peaches. I don’t want a random stock boy picking out my bananas. Seriously, back away. I want to pick out my produce myself. I’m also not a fan of the milk at Sam’s Club; mainly because it doesn’t like my kefir grains. I have no idea why, but it separates and gets all kinds of weird. We’re already crunchy enough eating our homemade kefir – I don’t want it to get super weird.
When I go shopping at Sam’s Club, what do I typically buy?
- Big Blocks of Kerrygold and Cabot Cheese – no more pre-shredded cheese for me!
- String Cheese
- Kerrygold Butter – if I can’t get butter on sale, I buy it there. It freezes well!
- Chobani Greek Yogurt
- Produce – specifically the bagged spinach, baby carrots and fresh broccoli
- Frozen Fruit – it is so much cheaper than the grocery store prices. We use ours for smoothies, parfaits, and more.
- Frozen Vegetables – our favorites are peas, lima beans, broccoli, and stir-fry vegetable mix.
- Dried Herbs and Spices
- Peanuts, Cashews, Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds, Mixed Nuts and other Trail Mix making supples (I’ve found that all types are cheaper here than anywhere else. And sidebar, did you know you can freeze nuts? I store them in my deep freezer and portion them out in smaller bags as I need them.)
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips
- Big Blocks of Yeast, for baking
- White Vinegar – I buy 2 gallons for less than $4. I mostly use this as my natural fabric softener.
- Hormel Bacon Bit Pieces – I sound like a broken record, but these also freeze very well.
- Tires – Barry shops around and he has found that Sam’s is pretty much always the cheapest place for tires. They also do free rotate/balance if you bought the tires there! #winning
What are your favorite things to buy at Sam’s Club or your local warehouse club?