I like beef. It makes me happy. Actually, I just like meat. Meat makes me happy. Cube steak? That’s meat…and it makes me happy. I love meat. I especially crave meat when pregnant or nursing. MEAT! It’s what’s for dinner. Ummmmm, meat.
I have this thing for Salisbury Steak too. My Mama’s recipe is rockin’, but sometimes a girl needs to get her gravy on. Can I get a witness?! Beef and gravy together? That’s true love. Gravy love! My gravy love! I need ya, oh how I need ya, love!
This recipe is a different take on my Chicken Fried Steak…which just so happens to be an older recipe on the blog so it has canned cream-of soup in it – before I got religion…I mean, before I learned about MSG. HA! Okay, that was funny, y’all.
Cube steak holds a special place in my heart. It’s tender. When cooked right, it just falls apart and melts in your mouth. Are you slobbering yet? I am. MEAT! It’s so good it doesn’t require chewing…and after a long day, I don’t have much time for chewing. Unless it involves chocolate…or peanut butter – then I can totally chew.
I used beef…but I think I’ve seen pork cube steak too. That would work. I love pigs too. They’re just so stinkin’ cute – and delicious. Just don’t use tofu. No tofu here. Thanks.
I’m in a rare mood, can you tell? I’m going to stop here and give you the recipe before I say something dumb and make a zillion people angry. Amen.
For daily meal inspiration, follow @stacymakescents on Instagram.
Crock Pot Saucy Cube Steak
- 1 ½ pounds cube steak
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 ounce can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot/cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a 4 quart crock pot, place cube steak in bottom – overlapping as necessary.
- Lay onion and mushrooms on top.
- Combine broth, garlic powder, salt, thyme, and Worcestershire. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water.
- Remove steak from crock, leaving vegetables behind. Keep steak warm.
- Stir in arrowroot mixture. Let thicken with lid on.
- Serve sauce over steaks.
Yield: 4 servings
Comment Policy: I love reading your thoughts and input on what you read here. I'm sure we'll disagree sometimes and that's okay! In those cases, do what's right for you and yours. As with any form of communication, only post comments that move the discussion in a positive direction.