I like beef. It makes me happy. Actually, I just like meat. Meat makes me happy. Cube steak? That’s meat…and it makes me happy. I love meat. I especially crave meat when pregnant or nursing. MEAT! It’s what’s for dinner. Ummmmm, meat.
I have this thing for Salisbury Steak too. My Mama’s recipe is rockin’, but sometimes a girl needs to get her gravy on. Can I get a witness?! Beef and gravy together? That’s true love. Gravy love! My gravy love! I need ya, oh how I need ya, love!
This recipe is a different take on my Chicken Fried Steak…which just so happens to be an older recipe on the blog so it has canned cream-of soup in it – before I got religion…I mean, before I learned about MSG. HA! Okay, that was funny, y’all.
Cube steak holds a special place in my heart. It’s tender. When cooked right, it just falls apart and melts in your mouth. Are you slobbering yet? I am. MEAT! It’s so good it doesn’t require chewing…and after a long day, I don’t have much time for chewing. Unless it involves chocolate…or peanut butter – then I can totally chew.
I used beef…but I think I’ve seen pork cube steak too. That would work. I love pigs too. They’re just so stinkin’ cute – and delicious. Just don’t use tofu. No tofu here. Thanks.
I’m in a rare mood, can you tell? I’m going to stop here and give you the recipe before I say something dumb and make a zillion people angry. Amen.
For daily meal inspiration, follow @stacymakescents on Instagram.
Crock Pot Saucy Cube Steak
- 1 ½ pounds cube steak
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 ounce can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot/cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a 4 quart crock pot, place cube steak in bottom – overlapping as necessary.
- Lay onion and mushrooms on top.
- Combine broth, garlic powder, salt, thyme, and Worcestershire. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water.
- Remove steak from crock, leaving vegetables behind. Keep steak warm.
- Stir in arrowroot mixture. Let thicken with lid on.
- Serve sauce over steaks.
Yield: 4 servings