I’ve been working on this post for a few months. I like variety, and I got it into my head that I could make up 50 smoothie combos that were fast and easy…because, ain’t nobody got time for smoothies that take a bunch of prep work – isn’t that the point of a smoothie? To blend and go? Preach it – that was spiritual.
So, here is my list of 50 smoothie combos that are actually good for you – I put it together with my own geniousness and the help of my sister and Barry. You’ll find that they don’t call for any hard-to-find ingredients or stuff you can’t pronounce.
My children LOVE smoothies and I love knowing that I can give them something good, quickly. Andy is sorta picky at what he will and won’t eat…something I hope he outgrows. But, without fail I know that he will always take a smoothie for breakfast – occasionally even drinking them all without stopping. Sometimes the only way I can get fruit and veggies into the boy is to blend them up so he can’t tell what they are. Tricky? Maybe…but I ain’t proud.
So, first off I’ll give you a few notes and then I’ll share my list.
1. I use kefir as the base for my smoothies. I like knowing that I’m filling us up with good, healthy probiotics. I feel like it helps us stay “healthy and strong” as Annie would say. You can use kefir – you can use milk – you can use yogurt. Whatever floats your boat or happens to be residing in your fridge.
2. I am not giving you any measurements – only ideas. Why is this? Well, because I didn’t measure. I know that will drive some of you completely looney tunes. I don’t make it the same way every time. Sometimes I’m making smoothies for three – sometimes four – sometimes more. Maybe you’re just making it for one…so measurements for 5 wouldn’t help you much. Calm yourself with the fact that smoothies are very forgiving and pretty hard to mess up. Just throw it in there if it looks right.
3. I use a high powered blender. Some of the things on my list might not make it in your blender. I get that. My blender will eat a pool cue though, so it is pretty heavy duty. So, keep that in mind when you see my ingredients list.
4. Unless otherwise noted, I sweeten with stevia extract. It’s just what I have found that works for us. Honey also works great. I don’t really care for granulated sweeteners because I feel like they don’t dissolve well…but hey, if you like it, go for it! Maple syrup would also work good in some combos. I also add vanilla extract in almost every single smoothie. It just makes it better. Yum.
5. I use protein powder in some of the smoothies, but it’s not necessary. You can totally leave it out if you like. I purchase Swanson Premium whey protein from Swanson Vitamins. I usually only use it if we need an extra blast of protein that day.
Now, on with the list! I hope you find it helpful and hopefully it will keep you out of a smoothie rut.
1. Chocolate Covered Strawberry: frozen strawberries + cocoa powder
2. Strawberry Banana: frozen strawberries + frozen banana
3. Triple Berry Treat: I use a mixture of raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries – all frozen.
5. Berry Cheesecake: frozen berries of desire + cream cheese
6. Strawberry Shortcake: frozen strawberries + vanilla + whipped cream on top
7. Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake: canned pumpkin + pumpkin pie spice + cream cheese
8. Chocolate Covered Peanut: peanuts + cocoa powder
9. Mocha: cocoa powder + instant coffee or coffee extract + vanilla
10. Thin Mint: cocoa powder + chocolate chips + 1 drop peppermint essential oil (watch out because that oil is POTENT) or 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
11. Chocolate Chia: cocoa powder + chia seeds
12. PB&J: jelly of desire + peanut butter + vanilla
13. Snickerdoodle: vanilla protein powder + cinnamon + vanilla extract (remember powder is optional)
14. Carrot Cake: shredded carrots + vanilla + nutmeg + cinnamon + chopped nuts
15. Peaches and Cream: frozen peaches + heavy cream
16. Cake Batter: vanilla protein powder + vanilla extract + almond extract + butter extract
17. Apple Pie: apple chunks +apple pie spice + rolled oats
18. Chunky Monkey: cocoa powder + frozen banana
19. Cherry Garcia: chocolate chips + frozen cherries
20. Chubby Hubby: chocolate chips + chopped peanuts + hot cocoa mix
21. Butter Pecan: chopped pecans + vanilla protein powder + butter extract + vanilla extract
22. Banana Bread: frozen banana + cinnamon + vanilla extract
23. Gingerbread: cinnamon + ginger + nutmeg + vanilla extract
24. Blueberry Lemon: frozen blueberries + lemon juice or lemon extract
25. Green Giant: fresh chopped spinach + berries of desire (use dark berries to mask the green if you need to)
26. Popeye the Sailor Man: fresh spinach leaves + frozen banana + honey for sweetness
27. Tropical Island: frozen mango + pineapple chunks + shredded unsweetened coconut
28. Coconut Cream Pie: shredded unsweetened coconut + vanilla extract + heavy cream
29. .Pineapple Upside Down Cake: pineapple chunks + frozen cherries + vanilla extract
30. Oatmeal Raisin Cookie: rolled oats + cinnamon + raisins
31. Maple Pancake: maple syrup or extract + vanilla protein powder
32. Creamsicle: orange pieces + heavy cream
33. Orange Julius: orange juice + vanilla extract
34. PB Chocomole: avocado + peanut butter + cocoa powder
35. Razmataz: frozen banana + raspberries
36. Snickers: chopped peanuts + cocoa powder + caramel extract + vanilla extract
37. Mounds: cocoa powder + unsweetened coconut flakes
38. Blonde Coffee: instant coffee + vanilla protein powder
39. Honey Banana Flax: frozen banana + honey + ground flax seed
40. Eggnog: vanilla extract + heavy cream + nutmeg + rum extract + egg yolk, optional
41. Banana Split: frozen banana + cocoa powder + pineapple chunks + nut butter + frozen cherries
42. Lemon Chiffon: lemon juice or extract + vanilla protein powder
43. Chocolate Cacao: cocoa powder + cacao nibs (I get my nibs from Swanson Vitamins and we LOVE them)
44. Coconut Oil Buzz: coconut oil + vanilla protein powder (go easy on the coconut oil unless you need a smoothie laxative)
45. Chocolate Nutella: chocolate chips + nutella
46. Cookie Butter: cookie butter from Trader Joes (I realize this isn’t really healthy, but I tell myself the kefir cancels it out)
47. Almond Joy: almond butter + coconut flakes + cocoa powder
48. Cranberry Orange: orange pieces + frozen cranberries or dried cranberries if a high powered blender
49. Cucumber Melon: peeled cucumber + cantaloupe pieces (give this one a chance – I know it sounds like lotion, but it’s so refreshing)
50. Cookie Dough: vanilla protein powder or extract + chocolate chips