I know some of you would say that you cannot afford Date Night. Yes, going out can be really expensive….if you’re not creative. For the most part, I get free babysitting from family members. And of course, if we go out to eat I’m always looking for a coupon. Here are a few ideas for you to have Date Night without breaking the bank:
1. Ask a family member to watch your kids. I realize this doesn’t work for those of you who don’t live near family…or those of you who are afraid of your family. Ahem.
2. Barter with a friend. This is very popular! If you have a friend couple and they want Date Night too, then do an exchange with them. Watch their kids when they go out and they’ll watch yours when you do the same. Free babysitting. It ROCKS!
3. Ask your church to start a Parent’s Night Out. This would be a great way for the youth group to make some quick cash! They could do it once a month and charge a small $5 fee. You might want to make sure there are also some adults on hand. 😉 I imagine that some teenagers could quickly get overwhelmed at a 2-year-old toddler who just colored all over the walls…of the sanctuary.
4. Like I mentioned above, use coupons to eat out. You can find them pretty easily.
5. Take a picnic lunch. Who says you have to eat out? Take a sandwich from home and find a nice, pretty park to enjoy. Even going through the drive-thru for the $ Menu can add up…dollars make, uhhhhh dollars. Yeah.
6. Who says you have to eat out? Who made the rule that Date Night meant you had to eat out? Not me. Go Christmas shopping. Go antiquing. Do something. Avoid the extra cost of food if you want to. Stay at home and take a nap. You know you want to.
7. Take a tour of something local. Is there a local factory around you with something interesting to behold? I know I’d sure like to tour the Mayfield Dairy and get free ice cream. Around here we have a couple wineries that offer a tour with free wine. I’d skip the wine part because it makes me yak…but hey, whatever floats your boat.
8. Go out during the day. Don’t wait until Saturday night to live it up – try Saturday at lunch and hit a matinee. It’s a LOT cheaper and you can get the lunch special…and likely not have to wait 2 hours to get a table.
9. Take a hike. I realize this doesn’t excite most people…but we actually like hiking when we can get out and do it. Take a picnic lunch and you’ve got a super cheap date. Take bug repellent…you won’t be sorry. Or so I hear from OTHER PEOPLE. *Cough* Because I would never forget that.
10. Cook together at home. This might be a challenge for some of you – especially if your husband’s specialty is opening a can of Beanee Weenies. But, I bet he can chop or shred (maybe invest in a Kevlar glove). Barry and I really enjoy cooking together…as long as he does it my way.
So, how do we make this work? In order to keep ourselves accountable, we decided that we’d pick our twice monthly Date Night when we were doing our budget. Since that’s something we know we do every month, it helps us remember to also schedule in our time together.
Date Night works for us…and our marriage. And so far, Annie hasn’t even picked up on the fact that I’m gone. 😉 Which I try not to dwell on for too long or I get all weepy. “Oh, hey mom. You were gone? Can I just stay here forever?” And so it begins…
Please leave a comment with your favorite cheap date night idea so we can have a great resource on this post!