When we bought this house it came with a microwave. It had its own little cubby hole and everything…and I determined that I was NOT going to use it. Now it’s sitting in our basement waiting for a yard sale.
All along our healthy eating journey I’ve tried to make a few changes at a time, so that I wouldn’t lose my mind. I’ve switched to grinding my own flour, I’ve cut out caffeine (except chocolate), and I switched to healthy fats. But, I did these things one at a time.
I knew that eventually I would stop using a microwave. I didn’t really like them and they sorta give me the heebie jeebies…plus, you can blow things up in there – or so I hear from OTHER PEOPLE. *Cough*
You’re probably wondering why I got rid of the microwave. Why on earth would I get rid of something that brings such wonderful convenience? Well, I’ll tell you – for two main reasons.
1. I’m not convinced of its safety.
Some people will swear about the safety of a microwave. I mean, they’ve been around for years without anything happening, right? Actually, that’s not true. There are proven dangers to using a microwave.
For some reason, when I use a microwave I feel like I’m x-raying my food. While I was still using one, when I would turn it on, I made sure I moved very far away from it. After all, when you get an x-ray they make you put on a lead vest – I felt as though I needed to invest in a lead apron just to heat up lunch. You can’t even be in the same room with certain medical machines if you’re pregnant. Now, I know they’re not the same thing…but in my mind, they are.
It just doesn’t seem natural to me. Use electromagnetic energy to warm up my burrito?
2. The food just doesn’t taste great.
Let’s be honest…food warmed in the microwave just doesn’t taste as good as if it’s cooked in the oven. It’s chewy and has a weird texture. And if you cook it too long, it shrivels up into nothing…where did it go!?
I can’t think of anything that warms better in a microwave…except microwave popcorn. You can’t do that on the stovetop – it’ll burn. *Cough* But, homemade popcorn tastes the best anyway.
So, if Stacy kicked out the microwave how does she reheat her food? Well, we just eat it all cold. HA! Just kidding. 😉
1. I use the toaster oven. I love my toaster oven…if it died today, I’d go buy another one immediately. Coming from Cheapo Stacy, that means something.
You can re-warm just about anything in there. Does it take longer? Yes – about 10 minutes versus 2 minutes. It’s just something you’ll have to get used to, and it doesn’t take long. The food just tastes so much better; there is really no comparison to a microwave.
2. I use the stovetop. If I’m re-warming soup, I just plop it into a pot and warm it on the stove. It doesn’t take long at all. Pizza also re-warms well in a skillet.
3. I use the oven. If it’s a large casserole and I need to warm the whole thing, I’ll use my regular oven. I try not to use it if I can use the toaster oven, but some things are just too big for a toaster oven. Keep an eye peeled or set a timer so that you don’t burn your food. *Cough*