I’m going to keep this post pretty short and sweet. Mainly because I’m not a doctor and I hate having to write all those disclaimers to this effect:
Please note: I am not a doctor and will never be one. I only went to college for 4 years and majored in Youth Ministry. All opinions are my own and I cannot tell you how to safely wipe your nose. If you must wipe your nose or use herbs, please consult a doctor first, who went to school for a lot longer than me and really knows his stuff. Do not take medical advice from a stay-at-home youth ministry major who uses hankies instead of disposable tissues. Make sure to cough into your elbow pit and look both ways before crossing the street – but ask a doctor first.
Recently we decided to add activated charcoal to our healthy medicine cabinet. I like having healthy medical options on hand – hence the reason for my Home Remedies Notebook. Why did we add it? Well, because I like being prepared. Mainly, activated charcoal is to keep on hand for an accidental poisoning or other stomach maladies. While I make most of our cleaners, there is always the possibility that SOMETHING could happen. And if you’re not prepared, it will. Murphy’s Law of Big Headedness.
Basically, activated charcoal (NOT charcoal from your wood ashes), is an ADsorber. It adsorbs toxins in your system and carries them out with it. If someone ingests a poison, they can vomit and get rid of about 30% of it and then use the activated charcoal (ingested) to help get rid of the other 70% remaining if taken within 30 minutes of poisoning.
The best way to take it (from what I read) is to mix with water and drink with a straw. For dosage amounts, see this chart from the Mayo Clinic. (Note – some say you can mix it with a sweet drink so your kids would be more likely to take it.)
What poisons does it treat?
-Bee, wasp, or other poisonous stings
-Snake or spider bites
-Flu or other sickness
My activated charcoal was sent to me by More Than Alive – but had they not sent it, I would have gotten some for my medicine cabinet anyway. I like being prepared, don’t you? That’s why we have it. Add your additional uses to the comments below. Then enter to win a pound for yourself!
In case of emergency, please call poison control. Thanks.
Note from the Mayo Clinic: (activated charcoal) should not be used in poisoning if corrosive agents such as alkalis (lye) and strong acids, iron, boric acid, lithium, petroleum products (e.g., cleaning fluid, coal oil, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner), or alcohols have been swallowed, since it will not prevent these poisons from being absorbed into the body.
Comment Policy: I love reading your thoughts and input on what you read here. I'm sure we'll disagree sometimes and that's okay! In those cases, do what's right for you and yours. As with any form of communication, only post comments that move the discussion in a positive direction.