Today we’re back with another “5 Minutes On” video. This week, we decided to tackle a specific question that came from a woman responding to our last video about fighting with your spouse and also touches a bit about working in your strengths as we discussed in the video about how we divide up chores around the Myers household. What was the question? How do you submit to your husband?
As a man and a husband, the idea of the “modern family” where everyone has an equal say just doesn’t work for me.
It makes no sense to claim everyone is equal. That doesn’t mean the man or woman is better or that one must literally “rule” the other as a master and slave. It means there is a natural hierarchy, and one outlined pretty clearly in the Bible:
- Ephesians 5:“Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.”
- Colossians 3: “Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.”
- 1 Peter 3: “Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. “
There are plenty of examples that indicate the man is to be the leader of the home. But I put in three of the more specific scriptural references above because I believe they best outline my points:
- Husbands are to lead the home
- Husbands have the ultimate responsibility to God for their families
- Wives are to support their husbands
- Wives are to be an example of purity and reverence
- This approach doesn’t work unless both of you realize your role
I guess that pretty much sums up my view on it all. Nonetheless, before you call me a sexist pig, we add quite a bit of commentary in this week’s video that clarifies those points. Check it out below.
Now for the big question – does this work in your family? If so, how? If not, why not?