This was another one of my acts of culinary genius – mostly out of desperation one morning for breakfast. As you know, I love oatmeal and we eat a lot of it around here…but some mornings, a girl needs to get her chocolate on. So, Snickers Oatmeal was born.
Did you know that I love Snickers bars? Mostly those little miniature ones you get at holidays. That way I can eat a couple and not feel any guilt – unlike if you eat a WHOLE bar and then you’re like, “Whoa, what just happened here?” Eating mini ones means, “I only ate a few of those little ones.” And you can’t tell me I’m the ONLY person that does that. Don’t lie to me.
What are the parts of a Snickers bar? Chocolate, nougat, peanuts, and caramel. Pure bliss. I’m not really sure what’s in nougat, and I don’t want to look it up. That might ruin the whole magicalness of Snickers for me – and sometimes I like living in blissful ignorance. There is no nougat in this oatmeal – you can add it…I’ve never run across nougat for sale. Bummer.
But, I did include the chocolate, caramel, and nuts. For the caramel, I used coconut sugar for the effect – and not actual caramel. Because I didn’t have any. Having caramel in this house might be detrimental to me. I would find reasons to put it on everything – oatmeal, pancakes, ice cream, a spoon, etc. Brown sugar would also work if you don’t have coconut sugar – I just REALLY love the taste of coconut sugar…and no, it’s not a coconut flavor. It tastes similar to brown sugar.
Anyways, I’ll shut up now and show you the recipe. Make it right now. You’ll be glad you did.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons sugar of choice (I like coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar/coconut sugar (for caramel effect)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (mini are best)
- Combine oats, milk, sugar, and vanilla in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and let simmer until thickened. Stir often.
- Remove from heat and pour into bowl.
- Sprinkle top with coconut sugar, peanuts, and chocolate.
Yield: 1 serving