This is one of my FAVORITE sweet breads of all time – Chunky Apple Bread. It’s got the perfect balance between bread, fruit, and nuts and it’s not overly sweet.
When you smear some butter on this bread while it’s warm and take a bite, you’ll find yourself trying to strategize ways so that no one else can have any. “Sharing is caring” does not apply here. Kidding y’all. But in all seriousness, this is also a special bread in our house because we love to have it for Christmas breakfast. It’s one of those traditions that I look forward to it all year.
I know when you read the ingredient list for my chunky apple bread you are going to turn up your nose at the mayonnaise. I get it. And normally, mayo makes me want to yak. It’s a weird ingredient, but trust me here. Have I steered you wrong yet? You won’t know it’s there and it keeps the bread really moist. If you really don’t want to add it, you can sub yogurt or even sour cream.
Use a full 2 cups of chopped apples, 1 overflowing cup of both raisins and nuts.
It will seem like a lot, but it’s not really since this is for two loaves of chunky apple bread. Normally, I’m a tight wad and don’t like to add too much dried fruit and nuts to recipes. Because those are not cheap ingredients… y’all know that I have a tendency to cut down on expensive ingredients. But no skimping today, my friends! No skimping on this bread, honey.
If you try to cut it before it cools down, it will make a clumpy mess.
I heard this through the grapevine because I’m super patient and would never do this. I mean, y’all know me – I would never, EVER cut into a warm loaf of bread. Never. *Cough, cough.* Ahem.
It’s always the perfect time to be a good neighbor, and share a loaf of chunky apple bread with a friend. I promise after tasting this delicious bread, they’ll be a friend for life.
Chunky Apple Bread
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sucanat
- ½ cup kefir/buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 apples, chopped and peeled
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup nuts (walnuts, almond, or pecans)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sucanat, kefir, mayo, and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Stir in the fruit and nuts.
- Pour into two greased 9 inch loaf pans and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Store in the refrigerator.