I have made fresh bread for our family for many years now, and the recipe I use (the Bread Beckers’ Basic Dough recipe) makes two, one-pound loaves. Depending on the week’s meal plan, sometimes I only need one of the two loaves. Sometimes I share the second loaf with friends or neighbors, and sometimes I use the other dough on something a little different. In this case, I decided to make homemade pizza rolls!
This recipe works with any dough recipe that you’d normally use to make loaf bread. You basically need one pound of dough. If your normal dough recipe is something than a single pound, keep that in mind. Like me, you may choose to make one loaf of bread and these homemade pizza rolls. It’s your dough – do your thing. 😉
I made one loaf of bread like usual, then took the other half of the dough and rolled it out like I was going to make cinnamon rolls. I then sprinkled it with pizza toppings (minus sauce), rolled it up and cut it into slices. Place the slices onto a baking sheet and let them rise about 15 minutes. Then bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Cool slightly and serve warm with pizza sauce.
If you’re already making dough – this is how you can get some extra bonus super-cool mom points from your kids. Just sayin’. WE ALL LOVE THESE – and this recipe is a great way to whip up a quick lunch if your kids are also Hoover vacuums. I usually serve the pizza rolls with some sort of veggie and add some fruit on the side.
Homemade Pizza Rolls
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pack pepperoni
- misc. pizza toppings
- Make your bread dough as usual, separate one pound
- roll out flat, as though you're prepping for cinnamon rolls
- add any desired cheese and pizza toppings (no sauce)
- roll (like cinnamon rolls), then slice into approximately 1" thick slices
- lay slices on baking sheet and allow to rise approximately 15 minutes
- bake at 350 for approximately 15 minutes