I think we can all agree on one thing. And that is this…no dog deserves to be naked. Nakedness is illegal. Unless you live in a nudist colony…which isn’t all bad because, less laundry. It ain’t a hot dog without chili. If you think otherwise, that’s okay…sometimes, you’re wrong. Admitting it is the first step to dressing your dog.
I’ve been making this hot dog chili for most of my adult life. I got the recipe from my friend Kendra’s mom at a cookout after Barry and I were first married. I couldn’t stop eating it…it was rather embarrassing.
Don’t forget, what you eat standing up doesn’t count.
I could have called it Kendra’s Mom’s Crock Pot Hot Dog Chili. But, that’s too long to fit on a pinnable image. So, we’ll just say “Thanks, Kendra’s mom!” and call it good.
For hot dog chili (that’s chili for hot dogs, and not chili made from hot dogs…because I know I confused some of you over on Instagram) you need two things:
- NO BEANS! Seriously. If it has beans in it, it’s for a bowl, not a dog.
- The right consistency. Which you’ll get by crocking for hours.
If you don’t feel like making this in your crock pot, that’s okay. We can still be friends. Just simmer it on the stove for an hour or two and you’ll be good.
This recipe freezes GREAT! Since you’re making four pounds at once, you’ll be able to freeze what you don’t use. I just freeze in small containers (and label them because frozen chili looks like unidentifiable dog food) and thaw as needed. It’s great to have for random cookouts that occur during the warm months.
Now, let’s cut the chit-chat. For real. Give you the recipe. Thanks, Kendra’s mom!
Crock Pot Hot Dog Chili
- 3 lbs ground beef I often use ground venison
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 2 cups ketchup yes, cups
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1-2 cups water depending on how saucy you want it (start with one and add more as desired)
- Brown the ground beef and sausage with the chopped onion.
- Drain excess grease.
- Place meat mixture in crock pot (I use at least a 4-quart size) and add ketchup, chili powder, and water. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.