I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again (because repetition is the best form of learning), cheap and frugal are not the same thing. You can be cheap and not be frugal – and you can be frugal and not be cheap. I do have the tendency to be cheap with some things…but for the most part, I consider myself frugal. My parents have said that I’m tighter than Dick’s hatband, so I still sometimes have to tell my cheapness to take a hike. I want to save money, but I don’t want to be too cheap. Got it?
But what about you? Are you cheap or are you frugal? I’ll just go ahead and say that frugal is a better characteristic to have. If you are cheap, you can break free from that – just start small – see if you can buy something higher in price and quality with CASH without falling into the floor and foaming at the mouth. I am willing to set up email counseling sessions where I can walk you through this process and be your drill sergeant. SIR, YES SIR!
PS – This is a funny post. If you’re offended, sorry about that…please keep in mind, I’m also poking fun at myself. 😉
10 Signs You’re CHEAP Instead of FRUGAL:
1. You attempt to wash and reuse Kleenex (store brand of course) instead of investing in hankies.
Are you done blowing your nose now? You know what to do with that Kleenex, young man and I better not find it in the trash again! You’re a boy, so you should really learn how to go out into the yard and do snot rockets when you have to take care of business. Yes, I’m talking to YOU.
2. You monitor toilet paper usage.
HEY! I know you’re in there! ONE SQUARE I SAID! I counted those this morning, young lady and I will KNOW if you have your frivolous three squares! Do you think this stuff grows on TREES!?
3. You can read the Sunday paper through your toilet paper.
It is ridiculous to invest in two-ply tissue. Do these people think I’m made of money?! The whole toilet paper industry is in cahoots and attempting to invade my nest egg. It’s a conspiracy, I tell ya!
4. You attempt to dry your clothes quickly in the microwave instead of using the dryer for an emergency underwear situation.
Who needs underwear anyway? I will not be using the dryer today, thank you very much! If you wanted panties, you should have washed them yourself. Go commando – it’s very freeing. Or just wear them wet and don’t sit down. Yeah – try that.
5. You make friends with the people who own the land BEHIND the drive-in movie theater.
Hi! So nice to meet you! Let’s be friends! I love your back yard…it’s so nice and spacious! Oh wow! Is that the MOVIES?! How cool! Let’s watch. I’ll be back Friday night with popcorn.
6. You try to brew five pots of coffee from one set of grounds.
Come on baby! Give me one more pot! I know you have it in you! Yes, you’re starting to turn white but push through! I need you! I’ll never let go!
7. You visit 50 grocery stores all in one day to get the best deals on everything because Kroger has that for $.02 less.
Dude – that butter is $.02 cheaper at Food-A-Holics. How dare they try to charge me $.02 extra here. I am going to take myself down there right now and get my butter. I need to stop for gas too – and a burger at the drive-thru. But GOSH! $.02 higher! Sheesh. Robbers.
8. You keep everything that breaks because you’re convinced that one day there will be a use for it and you’ll make millions…like dead batteries.
Blasted batteries – keep dying. I guess I’ll add these to my 40 totes downstairs. Eventually there is going to be a use for all these dead batteries and I’ll be a millionaire. Guess who will be laughing then, buster! And when there is a market for snot – trillionaire! Wahooooooo!
9. You make your kids wear bubble wrap clothing when playing outside so they won’t get hurt and possibly have to be taken to the ER where you’ll have to pay a deductible.
Kids – come here and put on your bubble pants. Yes, I know it’s 90 degrees outside but this bubble wrap will protect you from the sunlight AND from any cuts or bruises you might encounter. We don’t want to take a trip to the ER do we? They charge like $50 for a band-aid there. Say what? You broke your arm? ‘Tis merely a flesh wound. Shake it off!
10. You crash weddings to get free food and you don’t take a gift.
Dude, I saw there is going to be a wedding reception down at the Moose Lodge – bet they’ll have free sandwiches and cake. I had meatloaf on the meal plan, but a free meal is way better. What’s our story this time? We were friends in college, but they don’t remember because it was blacked out due to lack of sleep – we lived down the hall and shared the bathroom. Got it.
How do YOU define frugal?