Everywhere we look, it seems like we’re inundated with things to do for Christmas:
- Beautiful trees
- Fancy desserts
- BIG gifts
Is there anything wrong with any of that? Absolutely not! Those are all wonderful things!!! The problem is, when those things stress us out, and keep us from enjoying our time with family, we don’t really need them.
Why the stress?
I used to think that I need to make all the foods from scratch, have a perfect tree, host the parties and make sure all the gifts were PERFECT! And you know what? I wasn’t super fun to be around because I was stressed out – and lost my mind when something didn’t come to pass.
Every single year, my children prove to me that a simple Christmas is their favorite.
They ask for: a gingerbread house, candlelight dinners, and Christmas jammies. The things they remember and treasure are the simple activities and traditions we have as a family.
This time of year isn’t about the gluttony of gifts. In fact, we only do three gifts each Christmas. Here’s our take on it – and even The TODAY Show featured us a while back because of that tradition. Apparently, we’re a bunch of weirdos who don’t love their kids because we don’t buy them enough. LOL
I wanted to share a list of activities and traditions that aren’t hard and don’t take a ton of time – but make an impact on everyone. And make a lasting memory. That’s what we remember as we age – time with others. No perfect trees and expensive gifts.
Just think back – what do YOU remember about Christmas?
Here are some simple things we enjoy:
- Taking cookies to the fire department/police department
- Visiting stores with pretty Christmas displays (stores like Cabela’s or Bass Pro really do a great job with this and are kid-friendly)
- Driving around the neighborhood at night to see pretty lights
- One dinner out as a treat
- Visiting the town Christmas tree
- Reading Christmas stories
- Dinner by candlelight
- Choosing our own Christmas tree
- Adopting a family for Christmas
- Visits with friends to see their Christmas decor
- Find local holiday concerts, plays, or cantatas to hear
- Go see a Christmas matinee
- Have hot cocoa by tree light
See how simple?
Every one of those is super easy to do and can be made into a fun family tradition.
Keep Christmas simple – remember Jesus was born in a lowly stable. <3