I know a lot of times I talk to you guys about how we try to live our lives free of harsh chemicals. And I also share all about how we try to use products that are safer on the toxicity scale. It’s been about a lengthy process, slowly ridding our home of things that were unsafe and replacing them with better – which is a natural fit with our essential oil lifestyle. But it has taken so long because we did it slowly on purpose.
We used a method called transfer buying.
When I found out that most of the stuff we were using was NOT safe according to the EWG skin deep database, I was shocked! But I didn’t go out all at once and replace my entire medicine cabinet or all of my cleaning products in one giant shopping trip. No way – that’d be both expensive and also wasteful, because of all the products I already had on hand. But the way that I could make this a lasting change that could stick long term was by replacing the products we use bit by bit. I would replace things whenever I ran out with a better, less toxic alternative. Slowly but surely, we have adapted to a house that is almost entirely lined up with our essential oil lifestyle.
Young Living is OBVIOUSLY my side business so the majority of the products we use and and love now are part of that brand. But as you know about me by now – I don’t talk about anything that I don’t love. I genuinely love and I am passionate about their products Today, I literally want to take you room by room and explain what I use so you can get a feel for what our essential oil lifestyle looks like. In case you aren’t one of my followers on Facebook, you can watch the video version of this post below:
Living Room, Kitchen, and Laundry Room
- I keep all of my essential oil literature and reading material in here. All of my oily stash books are in the living room because I have a huge collection!
- My Aria Diffuser is right by the front door. Cypress and Orange are diffusing right now!
- I have a drawer in my kitchen with a little oily stash: Lemon, Jade Lemon, Lime, Tangerine, and Red Shot. I have found that if I don’t keep my oils near my diffuser, I don’t use them! If there is a healthy choice you are trying to make – keep it out in front of you! If not, it’s hard to remember to use it!
- By kitchen sink, I have Foaming Hand Soap and Thieves Dish Soap. I dilute my dish soap from Young Living because it comes so concentrated.
- Thieves Household Cleaner and E-cloth are what I use to clean the whole house – the kitchen, the floors, the bathrooms, all my appliances, etc – the whole house!
- Thieves fruit and veggie wash is another product I love. I always feel better knowing to use to make sure my produce gets nice and clean.
- I love their dishwasher soap as well. And downstairs where my laundry room is, we use Thieves Laundry Detergent.
- Ningxia Red is a daily vitamin drink that we all take that helps support our immune system and eye health. It helps the body’s exposure to free radicals (which are basically everywhere). We all have a shot glass full each morning.
- Ningxia Zyng is a natural energy drink we keep in the fridge.
- Ningxia Nitro if I need a burst of energy in the afternoon, I will do one of these in the afternoon.
- Next up is Probiotic Life 9. I like to be regular and this is so helpful for gut health!
- Omagize is the perfect non-fishy fish oil supplement.
- Multi Greens just makes me feel good!
- Super C is for Barry – it gives him immune system an extra boost.
- Alkalime is a great supplement that helps your body be in a more alkaline state versus acidic. I take this to help my bottom be in a more alkaline state, if you know what I mean.
- Super B (or Super Mom pills!) I take every day around 11 to keep me from getting in an afternoon slump.
- Two enzymes that I couldn’t live without are Allerzyme and Essentialzyme. If I take enzymes before I go out to eat it really helps me keep from getting sick. My body doesn’t like strange fats – and I’ve learned that there always seems to be added oils and fats used by restaurants that just don’t agree with me.
- Eli takes the Children’s Enzyme because if your gut is happier your skin is happier! And my kids also take Multivitamin Chewables.
- Cortistop helps with occasional stress – I don’t take it all the time.
- Inner Defense and Immupro are what Barry, the kids, and I take Sunday after we are exposed to a lot of people.
- As the name suggests, Sleepessence gives a little extra sleep boost!
- Rose Ointment is like my Windex (My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie reference). LOL. I tell my kids and Barry to put it one whatever ails you!
- Lavederm Cooling Spray is great for hot flashes.
- I try to limit the time my kids are in the sun to the late morning and early evenings when the sun isn’t so hot, bright and directly over head. But if we have to be outside during the hottest part of the day, I use YL’s Mineral Sunscreen. Like I said, we don’t use it often, but it’s a great product! And the same goes for their Lavederm After Sun Spray!
- Y’all know I hate bugs – specifically mosquitoes and ticks. I love having YL’s Insect Repellent on hand! It’s Deet-free and works really well!
- We’ve got our Homemade Foam Soap by the sink with Eucalyptus Radiata and also another diffuser running.
- I use Young Living’s Lavender Mint Shampoo and Conditioner. Like I told y’all about my cleaners, these products are so concentrated, I dilute both my shampoo and conditioner to get more uses out of them. I love the scent and both products work great!
- My kids use the Kidscents Citrus Toothpaste and they really like it! Barry and I use Thieves Peppermint and Lemon Toothpaste, sometimes with a drop of orange to brighten our teeth. We have tried a lot of natural toothpastes and sometimes they make you feel like you are brushing your teeth with mud. This one does not! It tastes amazing!
- I have a whole drawerful of Savvy Minerals makeup, as well as some other makeup products that are score low on the EWG Skin Deep Cosmetic Database.
- And y’all know I love my Hormone Happiness Oils! Check out this post where I explain step by step my morning oily routine. Progessence Plus with Wild Yam Extract helps my emotions, as well as Clary Sage and Lady Sclareol.
- I tried to move to natural deodorants, but after detoxing my arm pits, I realized I don’t actually need deodorant at all! Purification and a carrier oil helps me smell nice and fresh. Or sometimes, I use a small dime-sized amount of Young Living toothpaste. I keep all my carrier oils in the bathroom too – V6 and Cell-lite are my favorite!
- Barry uses Schmidt’s Deodorant. He had to try several brands before he found that worked with his body chemistry.
- For cologne, Barry alternates between Joy, Northern Lights Black Spruce, and Finance.
- I also like to keep a stash of Peppermint Vitality Oil and veggie capsules so Barry can make up a capsule as needed to support his tummy and the music he sometimes makes after too many beans.
- I made an AWESOME face serum with Lavender, Tea Tree Oil and Sacred Frankincense.
- Shutran is a oil that was formulated to appeal to women, and because it adapts to each person’s body chemistry, I love it on Barry! He also uses the Shutran Beard Oil, as well.
- And y’all – the Cool Azul Pain Cream is amazing! We both use it! Anytime I pull a muscle or have a tender spot, I massage it in and get relief quickly. It smells like wintergreen and I absolutely love it. Plus, just a little bit goes a long way so it lasts forever.
- I also always have plenty of Genesis Hand and Body Lotion, which we all use – but this lotion works especially great for Eli’s sensitive skin. I love the Genesis Magnesium Lotion with lavender in it for bedtime!
- In the kids room, I always keep a roller ball of Lemon, Lavender, and Peppermint and diluted Frankincense next to Eli’s bed. And I keep a roller ball of Eucalyptus Blue and Frankincense – sometimes the kids use it on the lymph nodes behind their ears.
- All of our bedrooms have a Diffuser and we have a few Salt Lamps.
- I love the Seedlings Diaper Rash Cream for Ruthie and I always use a lavender roller ball or Sleeptyime Spray for her before bed. Stress Away is so helpful before bed for Annie – it helps her clear her head and fall asleep more easily. She has her own roller bottle by her bed and she knows when to use it.
- Coconut Lime Body Butter is what I use for my hands all winter – so I always have it on my nightstand. It has coconut oil and is a little greasy but it really keeps my hands from getting dry and cracking. I love the Young Living lip balm – cinnamint is my favorite!
- I keep Orthoease Massage Oil for Barry’s nightstand and use it frequently when Barry comes home with a sore back.
- Sensation Massage Oil is the best lube of your life. It’s the best lube ever invented. It’s probably Barry’s favorite Young Living Product. 😉 (Also I have on hand an Inner Thigh Potion (a recipe from Lucy Libido’s book) that is equally awesome!)
A few other quick tips…
- Keep all of your oils out where you can see them! The old adage, “out of sight out of mind…” is true in this case. If I don’t have them out on display, I won’t remember to use them as a part of my daily essential oil lifestyle. I put my supplements by my coffee cup so I don’t forget to take them. My probiotics are in the fridge right by the butter – so you know I’ll use that every day 🙂
- Young Living is not just oils! Besides their amazing essential oils, Young Living carries so many cleaner, non-toxic alternatives to almost every product you have and use in your home. From dish soap, dishwasher detergent, laundry soap to makeup, lotions, and supplements.
- You don’t have to go all in, all at once! Remember what I said about how Barry and I used the transfer buying approach. Gradually replace make those healthy changes!
- Make sure you are a part of a support system. It’s similar to exercise, having a partner to do it with makes you more likely to stick with those healthy changes! I’m doing this journey with my very best friends, my Living Lighthearted Oily team. If you’ve wanted to make healthy changes, but are afraid you won’t stick with it, find some accountability!
Lastly, don’t forget I’m here for you! Whenever you’re ready to being your own essential oil lifestyle, please just reach out to me. I’m easy to find!