So, let me tell ya something – I didn’t take many pictures of this dish. Here’s why:
1. It doesn’t look pretty – it looks sorta soupy and…not pretty.
2. I forgot
That about sums it up. Sometimes when I’m cooking, I forget I’m cooking for y’all. So, well, oops. What can I say? I did get my family clothed and fed – so pictures are just a bonus, right?
I kept seeing ideas for this type of crock pot dish on Pinterest. But, they all had this stuff in them: cream of cheese soup, cream of chicken soup, Velveeta, Italian salad dressing. Sooooooooooo, what’s a girl to do when she doesn’t use any Velveeta? I’ll tell you – she makes her own recipe, that’s what.
It might not look pretty – but dude, it’s tasty. It might even qualify as thebomb.com. I try to hold that phrase for very special dishes…so as you can tell, this is serious. We were all slapping our brains out with our tongues.
I served mine with spaghetti squash because we’ve cut back on simple carbs. But you could serve them over regular noodles…or rice…or just stand in the kitchen and eat it directly out of the crock – I won’t tell. And for the record, I have NEVER done anything so preposterous. *Cough*
Also, I left this sorta soupy so the noodles would be really coated. If you want it thicker, you might consider doubling the arrowroot thickener.
Okay, I have to quit talking about this now because I’m getting hungry. I need a snack. Breastfeeding perk – more snacks. I love snackage. And this dish…it’s thebomb.com.
So, here it is! Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli – whole food style!
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli cuts (fresh is also acceptable)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- Rice, pasta, or biscuits for serving
- In a greased crock, combine sour cream and chicken broth (I used my 4 quart).
- Place chicken cubes in crock.
- Sprinkle with garlic and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- At the 5 hour mark, add broccoli.
- Cook until broccoli is tender (frozen broccoli was ready after an hour).
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar.
- Cover and let melt.
- Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water.
- Stir into chicken mixture.
- Cover and let thicken (about 5-10 minutes). Serve as desired.
Yield: 4 servings